Duas / Etiquettes relating to Meals
Du’a before Meals PDF card
|In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful. O Allah, bless Muhammad and his family. O Allah, I ask You, in my eating and drinking, safety from illness, and to obey You and remember You and be thankful to You, as long as it remains in my body, and through its strength encourage me towards Your worship and inspire me to refrain from Your disobedience. O Allah bless Muhammad and his family.
(Khulasatul Adhkar, Al Faydh al-Kashani pg. 79)
|بِسْمِ اللَّهِ الرَّحْمَنِ الرَّحِيْمِ . اَللَّهُمَّ صَلِّ عَلى مُحَمَّدٍ وَ آلِ مُحَمَّدٍ
اَللَّهُمَّ اِنِّي اَسْئَلُكَ فِي اَكْلِي وَ شُرْبِي السَّلاَمَةَ مِنْ وَعْكَهِ وَ الْقُوَّةَ بِهِ عَلى طَاعَتِكَ وَ ذِكْرِكَ وَ شُكْرِكَ ، فِيْمَا اَبْقَيْتَهُ فِي بَدَنِي وَ اَنْ تَشَجِّعْنِي بِقُوَّتِهَا عَلى عِبَادَتِكَ وَ اَنْ تُلْهِمَنِي حُسْنَ التَّحْرِرِ مِنْ مَعْصِيَتِكَ. اَللَّهُمَّ صَلِّ عَلى مُحَمَّدٍ وَ آلِ مُحَمَّدٍ
Du’a after Meals
|In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful
O Allah, bless Muhammad and his family Praise be to Allah Who has: fed us, provided water for us, sufficed us, supported us, sheltered us, favored us, and bestowed benefits.
Praise be to Allah Who feeds but is not fed.
O Allah, bless Muhammad and his family.
(As-Sahîfa As-Sajjâdiyyah Al-Jâmi`ah, p. 601
|بِسْمِ اللَّهِ الرَّحْمَنِ الرَّحِيْمِ
اَللَّهُمَّ صَلِّ عَلى مُحَمَّدٍ وَ آلِ مُحَمَّد
اَلْحَمْدُ للهِ الَّذِيْ اَطْعَمَنَا، وَسَقَانَا، وَكَفَانَا، وَاَيَّدَنَا، وَآوانَا، وَاَنْعَمَ عَلَيْنَا، وَاَفْضَلَ. اَلْحَمْدُ للهِ الَّذِيْ يُطْعِمُ وَلاَ يُطْعَمُ.
اَللهُمَّ صَلِّ عَلى مُحَمَّدً وَآلِ مُحَمَّد
Duas relating to Meals from ‘Prophets Prayers book’
|9||HIS DUA WHEN THE TABLE-SPREAD IS LAID OUT|
|10.||HIS DUA WHEN HE TOUCHED THE FOOD|
|11||HIS DUA WHEN THE TABLE-SPREAD WAS PICKED UP|
|12||HIS DUA WHEN EATING AND DRINKING MILK|
|13||HIS DUA WHEN HE SAW FRESH FRUIT|
|9. HIS DUA WHEN THE TABLE-SPREAD IS LAID OUT|
|41. In al-K¡f¢: Narrated from A¦mad ibn al-°asan al-Maythami who ascribed it to an infallible; he said: When the table-spread was laid out in front of the “Holy Prophet” he said:
سُبْحَانَكَ أَللّٰهُمَّ مَا أَحْسَنَ مَا تَبْتَلِينَا، سُبْحَانَكَ مَا أَكْثَرَ مَا تُعْطِيناَ، سُبْحَانَكَ مَا أَكْثَرَ مَا تُعَافِينَا. أَللّٰهُمَّ أَوْسِعْ عَلَيْنَا وَعَلـى فُقَرَاءِ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ وَالْمُؤْمِنَاتِ وَالْمُسْلِمِينَ وَالْمُسْلِمَاتِ.
Glory be to You O “All¡h” ! How wonderful is that which You have tested us with. Glory be to You, how plentiful is that which You have given us. Glory be to You, how plentiful is that which You have bestowed on us. O All¡h! Increase for us (our sustenance) and for the poor believing men and women and (for the poor) Muslim men and women.[i]
42. In al-Mak¡rim: When the table-spread was laid out in front of the “Holy Prophet” he said:
بِسْمِ اللّٰهِ. أَللّٰهُمَّ اجْعَلْهَا نِعْمَةً مَشْكُورَةً تَصِلُ بِهَا نِعْمَةَ الْجَنَّةِ.
|10. HIS DUA WHEN HE TOUCHED THE FOOD|
|43. In al-Mak¡rim: When he placed his hand on the food he said:
بِسْمِ اللّٰهِ، بَارِكْ لَنَا فِيمَا رَزَقْتَنَا وَعَلَيْكَ خَلْفَهُ.
|11. HIS DUA WHEN THE TABLE-SPREAD WAS PICKED UP|
|44. In al-K¡f¢: Narrated from Ibr¡him ibn Mahzam from someone from Ab¢ Ja~far who said: When the table-spread was picked up, the “Holy Prophet” said:
أَللّٰهُمَّ أَكْثَرْتَ وَأَطَبْتَ وَبَارَكْتَ فَأَشْبَعْتَ وَأَرْوَيْتَ. أَلْحَمْدُ لِلّٰهِ الَّذِي يُطْعِمُ وَلاَ يُطْعَمُ.
O “All¡h” ! You have increased Your bounties and made them good and blessed, thereby making us satiated and quenched. All praise be to All¡h, The One who nourishes and is not nourished.[i]
[i] al-K¡f¢ 6:294, al-Ma¦¡sin: 436
|12. HIS DUA WHEN EATING AND DRINKING MILK|
|45. In al-K¡f¢: Narrated from ~Abdull¡h ibn Sulaym¡n “Sulaymn” from Ab¢ Ja~far D who said: The “Holy Prophet” would not eat any food nor drink any beverage but that he would say:
أَللّٰهُمَّ بَارِكْ لَنَا فِيهِ وَأَبْدِلْنَا بِهِ خَيْراً مِنْهُ.
O “All¡h” ! Bless it for us and replenish it with that which is better.
…except when he drank milk, then he would say:
أَللّٰهُمَّ بَارِكْ لَنَا فِيهِ وَزِدْنَا مِنْهُ.
O All¡h ! Bless it for us and increase it for us.[i]
Note: This has also been narrated by him and by al-Barqi with a different chain of narrators.[ii]
46. In al-Iqb¡l: Upon eating a morsel, the “Noble Prophet” would say:
أَللّٰهُمَّ لَكَ الْحَمْدُ أَطْعَمْتَ وَأَسْقَيْتَ وَرَوَيْتَ. فَلَكَ الْحَمْدُ غَيْرُ مَكْفُورٍ وَلاَ مُوَدَّعٍ وَلاَ مُسْتَغْنـى عَـنْكَ.
O “All¡h” ! Praise be to You. You have nourished and quenched and satisfied (us), so to You be praise – praise without ingratitude and without leave and without (seeking) independence from You.[iii]
Other Misc- DUA’A 445 Before eating/drinking before eating a meal recite the following dua’a (surah al Quraysh).
|In the name of Allah, the beneficent, the merciful.
For the uniting of the Quraysh,
For the union during their winter and summer journeys,
Let them worship the Lord of this house,
Who fed them when they were hungry and gave them security against fear.
BISMILLAAHIR RAH’MAANIR RAH’EEM
EELAAFIHIM RIH’LATASH SHITAA-I WAS’-S’AYF
FAL YA’-BUDOO RABBA HAAD’AL BAYT
ALLAD’EE AT’-A’MAHUM MIN JOO-I’W WA AAMANAHUM MIN KHAWF
DUA’A 446 Imam Jafar bin Muhammad al Sadiq advised the believers to recite the following dua’a (Maryam : 62) before eating a meal.
|They shall have their sustenance therein, morning and evening.
LAHUM RIZQUHUM FEEHAA BUKRATAW WA A’SHIYYAA
DUA’A 447 Imam Ali ibn ali Talib advised the believers to say:
|In the name of Allah
before eating a meal and
Praise be to Allah
at the end of eating a meal
DUA’A 448 Imam Jafar bin Muhammad al Sadiq advised the believers to recite the following dua’a at the time of drinking water.
|Blessing of Allah be on Husayn, his family and his friends; and may Allah curse those who killed him and opposed him
S’ALAWAATULLAAHI A’LAL H’USAYNI WA AHLI BAYTIHEE WA AS’H’AABIHEE WA LA’-NATULLAHI A’LAA QATALATIHEE WA A’-DAA-IHEE
EATING MANNERS http://islamic-laws.com/tawzeh/263.html
2645. There are certain Mustahab (recommended )rules to be observed while taking a meal; they are as follows:
1. Washing both the hands before taking a meal.
2. After taking a meal, one should wash one’s hands, and dry them with a dry cloth.
3. The host should begin eating first, and should also be the last to withdraw his hand. Before starting to take a meal, the host should wash his own hands first, and thereafter, the person sitting on his right should do so.
4. One should say Bismillah before starting to eat, and if there are several dishes, it is Mustahab to say Bismillah before partaking of each of the dishes.
5. One should eat with one’s right hand.
6. One should eat using three or more fingers and should not eat with two fingers only.
7. If several persons are sitting together for their meals, everyone of them should partake of the food placed in front of him.
8. One should take small bits of food.
9. One should prolong the duration of taking a meal.
10. One should chew the food thoroughly.
11. After taking one’s meal one should praise and thank Allah.
12. One should lick one’s fingers clean after taking food.
13. One should use a toothpick after taking a meal. However, the toothpick should not be made of sweet basil (a fragrant grass) or the leaves of date-palm.
14. One should collect and eat the food which is scattered on the dining cloth. However, if one takes meal in an open place, like a desert etc, it is better to leave the food which has fallen aside, so that it may be eaten by the animals and the birds.
15. One should take one’s meal in the earlier part of the day, and in the earlier part of the night and should not eat during the day or during the night.
16. After taking one’s meal one should lie on one’s back, and should place one’s right foot on one’s left foot.
17. One should take salt before and after the meal.
18. When eating a fruit, one should first wash it before eating.
|Eating Habits in Islam – ISLAMIC – LAWS
The religion Islam has one of the most comprehensive eating and dietary habits and one even wonders as to why all the strict rulings. This is true because the …