In His Name, The Most Gracious, The Most Merciful
1st Rajab / May 12, 2013
We begin the month of Rajab, the month of Allah (SWT) and the month of Amir-ul-Mumineen Imam Ali (AS). Let us pray for all our brothers and sister in the world who are being oppressed.
Merits of the month of Rajab
By Ayatullah Hajj Mirza Jawad Tabrizi
Translated by Shaikh Saleem Bhimji from the book Al-Muraqibat
This month is one of the noblest of months for the following reasons:
- It is one of the Sacred Months (there are four of these in the Islamic calendar).
- It is one of the months of Supplication and even during the period of Ignorance (before the coming of Islam) this was well known amongst the people and the Arabs of that time would always wait and anticipate the coming of this month so that they could supplicate and ask their needs.
- This month is the month of Amir Al-Mo’mineen `Ali ibn Abi Talib (peace be upon him) just as it has been mentioned in the ahadith and as we are also told that the month of Sha`ban is the month of the Messenger of Allah (prayers be upon him and his family) and the Month of Ramadhan is the month of Allah (Glory and Greatness be to Him).
- The first night of this month is one of the four nights in the year which it has been emphasized that we should stay awake in prayer and worship.
- In relation to the 15th of this month, it has been mentioned that it is the most loved of days in the sight of Allah (Glory and Greatness be to Him).
- The 27th of this month is the date when the official appointment of the Noble Prophet (prayers be upon him and his family) took place and it is the day when the mercy and blessings of Allah (Glory and Greatness be to Him) were physically manifested upon this Earth – something which this world has never seen from its inception until today.
There is a special Amaal for the First Thursday in Rajab. Click here to download the Amaal.
There is also a good article on prepartion for Laylatul Qadr starting from Rajab. Click here to view the article.
Birth Anniversary of fifth Imam Muhammad Al-Baqir (A.S) – 1 Rajab/ May 12, 2013
The beginning of the month of Rajab opens with the birth celebration of a noble personality who would later be known as “Baqir al-Uloom” or the “Splitter of Knowledge”. These titles are obviously in reference to his never-ending struggles to elucidate and spread the teachings of Islam to countless individuals. The person whom we are referring to is the fifth Divinely appointed light to guide humanity from the darkness of ignorance into the light of true faith and knowledge and is none other than Imam Muhammad the son of `Ali Zaynul Abideen (peace be upon them).
His birth took place just five years before the tragic events of Kerbala and thus, he too, along with his father, the forth Imam were present to witness the act of the supreme sacrifice. They were there, witnessing the events as they transpired on the dusty desert sand and no doubt this tragedy left great pain and sorrow on his soul and continued on during his lifetime.
As we mark the birth anniversary of this great Imam we should thank Allah for giving us such noble personalities whom we can learn from and whom we can be proud as saying that they are our leaders.